Thursday, January 1, 2009

Vegan Blueberry Muffins


Here is the first vegan recipe of the New Year.  We thought we would start out with breakfast (although it was closer to lunch) and try out a new recipe. 
I made a couple of changes to the recipe.  It calls for 2 cups of unbleached white flour but I used 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour.  I also used less sugar, a full cup seemed a bit much so I halved it and the sweetness was perfect.

Adapted from Venturesome Vegetarian Cooking


Oven temp: 350
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins


Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached flour (I did half white/half wheat pastry flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg (I used Ener-G)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup soy yogurt (I used Silk Vanilla)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven and lightly oil muffin tin
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Separately, mix together the egg replacer, oil, and yogurt.  Whisk in the sugar until creamed.

Add the blueberries to the dry ingredients and mix to disperse evenly.  Add the wet mixture and stir only until combined.

Scoop batter into muffin tine and bake 25-30 minutes until the edges start to brown.

Let cool before you remove ( you don't want a blueberry burn!).

4 comments:

  1. Blog looks great and so do the muffins!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. for more great vegan muffins, that you don't have to bake yourself..visit Taste no evil muffin company in South Austin.
    www.TasteNoEvilMuffins.com
    YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Yum, I can't wait to try this recipe!! I have book marked your site, I am glad I found it!
    Cindy
    Http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete